As a partner in Colonial Furniture in Winston-Salem, N.C, a traditional furniture store, Glenn Swaim, Sr. decided to venture into the manufacturing business for himself. He opened a small furniture factory behind his retail store to start his new business. Glenn Swaim, Sr. believed anything could be accomplished through cooperation, a team environment and strong leadership.
As the business grew he realized the need for a larger facility in High Point, NC, which is known as the furniture capitol of the world. The factory was relocated to Manning Street in High Point, NC and continued to produce fine traditional upholstery
The decade was an exciting one for Swaim Manufacturing. In 1963, the company moved into a new facility on Surrett Drive to accommodate its growing operations. The Swaims also celebrated another achievement, which Glenn Swaim, Sr. announced to his church congregation on a warm spring day in 1965. The company had been selected to provide furniture for the White House and President Lyndon B. Johnson.
In the 1970s, the second generation of the Swaim family stepped into the business, and the company officially became Swaim Originals. The company again moved into a larger facility on Baker Road to accommodate growth. Swaim partnered with designer John Mascheroni, together they designed and produced the company’s first collection of contemporary furniture, which was sold exclusively through Bloomingdale’s in New York. With the success of that effort, the company transformed its focus to contemporary designs.
Swaim Originals moved to its present location at 1801 South College Drive in High Point, NC. Along with the move, Swaim opened Swaim Metals to broaden and strengthen their product line for residential furniture. Using momentum from the Bloomingdale’s launch, Swaim changed its distribution patterns and positioned the company to sell to major retail stores.
In 1996, Swaim Originals acquired Wagner, which manufactured casegoods in Archdale, NC. Casegoods were added to the line to meet the needs of customer demands.
In need of a larger showroom, Swaim renovated and relocated its showroom into the former public library in downtown High Point, NC. The new Swaim Design Center is located at 411 South Main Street.
Swaim Originals opened a state-of-the-art finishing department in its High Point manufacturing facility.
During the Fall 2010 High Point Furniture Market, Swaim introduced its Kaleidoscope collection, which introduced a moderately priced companion line for Swaim Originals. Less than a year later, Swaim consolidated all of their manufacturing to 1801 South College Drive to ensure the high quality of its products.
The Spring 2013 Market brought the addition of another collection, CR Currin. That same year, Swaim began to produce mirror and glass finishes. This further enhanced the line and diversity with mirror and glass styles.
Swaim celebrated 40 years of partnership with designer John Mascheroni and their continuing relationship.
Swaim Celebrates 75 years in business.
Andy Greene joins as Vice President and Sim Gaddy joins as Operations Director. The Swaim Showroom is sold with plans to bring Showroom to the plant campus.